Step by Step Guide to treat Terracotta / Mitti / Clay vessels:
There are multiple benefits of using earthen clay pots or terracotta vessels for cooking. These earthenware vessels used to be an intrinsic part of the Indian household.
Before using the earthenware vessels, we need to cure/season it before placing on the stove/microwave. Follow the step given below before using terracotta vessels for the first time:
- Firstly, immerse the vessel completely in a tub/bucket of water for at least 12 hours.
- Then, remove the terracotta vessel from water and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Remember to wipe all the areas of the vessel with a dry cloth. Apply olive oil or vegetable oil uniformly across the surface.
- Fill the vessel with water upto 3/4 of capacity. Place the vessel in a gas stove and keep it in low flame and maintain for 5-15 minutes.
- Finally, wash the vessel and store it in a cool, dry place.
Seasoning the vessel enhances the sturdiness and durability of clay cookware, making it more crack-resistant.
You are now all set to enjoy healthy and tasty food from clay vessels.