Your Shopping Cart(0)
Non stick cookware is one of the popular choices preferred by many. It is quite handy, lightweight, cheap and most importantly, gives a smooth cooking experience. No burnt food and very easy to clean and maintain. Bottomline is that it is very convenient and perfect for today’s urban crowd. There will be hardly any kitchen that doesn't have a non stick cookware set. But sadly, very few know it is unsafe and dangerous for us. If you are wondering how a humble looking non stick tawa or pan or non stick kadai can harm you, then stay on this page and read on…
Beyond Non Stick Cookware
There is more than the eye meets… This phrase goes well for non-stick cookware. Before you get to know the ill effects of a non-stick cookware set, you must understand the basics. What is non-stick cookware made of? Why is it harmful? What will happen if we keep using non-stick products? Let’s share with you more on this…
Non-stick products are made of dangerous chemicals which can harm humans, animals and the environment as a whole. Most of such items are covered with toxic coating, popularly called Teflon. From here starts the harsh truth… Teflon is actually man-made chemicals known as PFAS - Per and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances. This PFAS is composed of PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) + PFOS (perfluorooctane sulfonic acid). According to studies, this combination contains 4500+ types of compounds that are created by joining fluorine and carbon, one of the strongest bonds in organic chemistry. This bond of fluorine and carbon, cannot be broken down - even by heat, water or sunlight. The chemicals born out of this bond, when used on items become heat resistant, moisture resistant and water resistant. So in other words, this chemical bond can neither be broken down nor be destroyed easily.
Whether it is in our bodies or environment; these chemicals won't degrade and will take a very large number of years to decompose. Acknowledging the fact that these chemicals are here to stay forever, scientists refer to them as ‘Forever Chemicals’. Unfortunately, these forever chemicals are found everywhere, let alone non stick cookware. Wall paints, furniture, food delivery packages, carpets, microwave popcorn bag, raincoat, sunscreen - we are completely exposed to these chemicals. In fact, history has it that products carrying forever chemicals have been in use since the 1940s. Ironically, we humans are to be blamed for planting these silent killers in our lifecycle.
5 Things You Didn't Know About Non-Stick Cookware
Coming back to non stick cookware; let us discuss ‘forever chemicals’ in connection with the same. There are various factors triggered by these forever chemicals.
- Harmful Coating: Your favourite non stick tawa or non stick kadai will be mostly coated with the PFAS or Teflon that are quite harmful for you and your family’s health. The coating can leach into the food when cooked on high temperature, which in turn will enter in your body and stay there for a lifetime.
- Health Problems: You will be shocked at the deadly effects of these forever chemicals have, through a non-stick cookware set. It can give rise to various health problems and thereby reduce one’s lifespan. It can increase the risk of heart disease, lead to cancer, reduce one’s response to vaccines and increase cholesterol levels. It can affect hormones, immune system, reproductive system and even deter chances of getting pregnant. In fact, eating from non-stick cookware can be a matter of great concern for pregnant women. For, these deadly chemicals can increase the chances of birth defects, hamper an infant’s growth, development, learning and behaviour.
- Invisible threat: Earlier we revealed that the Teflon coating can disengage themselves from the cookware surface when used on high temperature. But did you know that this cannot be actually seen or felt? Yes, these harmful chemicals do not leave fumes and have no smell. Imagine inhaling toxic chemicals without having no clue about it - including you, your family and even your pets.
- Unfriendly with pets & environment: Indeed, the forever chemicals will affect animals, more harshly than humans. So if you are using non-stick cookware, it will be quite harmful to your furry pets at home. Similarly, once used or unwanted items with Teflon-coating enter the wasteland, then they won’t decompose ever. So whether it is humans, animals or the environment, non-stick cookware can harm anything and anyhow.
- Money eater: With non-stick cookware, care and attention goes hand in hand. It is delicate in nature and therefore, requires careful handling and cleaning. There is no way its coating will last long. High chances are there of the coating being scratched or peeled off due to consistent use. Plus, one has to ensure that they use appropriate ladles, spatulas or spoons to maintain the smooth surface and finish. In other words, non stick cookware is not durable and has limited shelf life. Investment wise, a non-stick cookware set is thus a poor choice. So if you have thought you have purchased the best non stick tawa, then think again. You might have to replace it after 2 years or so. In an effort to buy a cheap non stick cookware, you will have to spend more down the line; by replacing it with a new one every couple of years.
Now that you have come to terms with the negative side of non stick cookware, we hope that you reconsider your choice and start using healthy kitchenware. It is never too late to make the right switch and ditch toxic-coated cooking wares. We suggest you opt for health-safe cookware or traditional utensils such as cast iron cookware or iron cookware that have health benefits. If you are interested to know all about what is cast iron and what is cast iron made of, then CLICK HERE. At The Indus Valley, there is a wide range of safe and healthy cookware that will meet your every cooking need. Bring a positive difference in your kitchen rituals. Make a wise investment and have a good, healthy cooking experience